THE 2016 DAPL TRAP SHOOT WILL BE AUGUST 20th, 2016. EMAIL MIKE MILLER TO LEARN MORE ABOUT SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES!
This year we will be celebrating the 32nd anniversary of the DAPL’s Annual Trap Shoot, one of the organization’s most looked-forward to events. The inaugural event took place in 1984, and was created in hopes of bringing Colorado’s landmen and oil and gas community together for a day of fun and camaraderie. 32 years later the event has grown to boast over 300 attendees, including 220 shooters. Participants shoot both sporting clays and trap. Sporting clays are meant to replicate hunting scenarios, providing a course of shooting stations to test your shot flexibility. In trap, clay targets are released from one station at a variety of angles going away from the shooter. Compete as an individual, or create a team of 5. Whether you’ve never shot before, you’re a professional target killer, or you’re just spectating, you’ll have a blast at this event. We’ll have food and beer a plenty, and tons of raffle prizes including several firearms, as well our the “mulligan” raffle gun benefiting the DAPL Scholarship Fund. Come join us August 20th at Colorado Clays!
Without these sponsors, the DAPL Trap & Sporing Clays Shoot could not happen. Big thank you to the following:
- Cabelas – Door Prizes
- Strong Side Tactical- Firearms
- Stengel Hoppe, LLP – Breakfast
- Drake Land Services – Lunch
- Lowrey Law – Beer
- Fox Rothschild, LLP
- Carleton Gotlin Law, PC
- Beatty & Wozniak, P.C.
- J.L. Obourn, Jr. & Company
- Poulson, Odell & Peterson
- Rosas, PLLC
- Transcontinent Oil Company
Location: Colorado Sporting Clays: 13600 Lanewood St, Brighton, CO 80603
Range Phone Number: (303) 659-7117
Date & Time: August 20th; 8:30am – 1:00pm
Registration / Payment: By check mailed to DAPL or online
Breakfast provided by Stengel Hoppe LLP (starting at 7:30am). Lunch provided by Drake Land Services (starting at 12:00pm).
Glasses and ear protection required, shooters can bring own ammunition or purchase at venue. You will need 100 shells.
|13600 Lanewood St, Brighton, CO 80603|
Whether you have not ever shot a clay, or even shot a gun, the sport is super easy to learn. If you have any other questions, please click here and your question might just be added to this site to help other shooters.
Q: What is the difference between “trap” shooting and “sporting clays?”
- The biggest difference is that in “trap” the clays fly away from the shooter whereas “sporting clays” come from a variety of directions. A good illustration can be found by clicking here.
Q: What should I wear to the event?
- This is a very casual event. Men usually wear jeans or shorts and either a button up shirt (like a fishing shirt), a polo or a t-shirt. For ladies, pretty much anything works but a skirt. Think casual Friday attire ladies. For more help, pictures of the 2013 DAPL Trap and Sporting Clays shoot can be found here.
Q: Do I have to pick between “trap” and “sporting clays?”
- No. Participants will shoot 50 rounds of trap AND 50 rounds of sporting clays.
Q: I heard guns are given away as door prizes. What’s that all about?
- Each registered shooter will receive a door prize from Cabela’s. Between 25-30 of those door prizes are firearms. Also, for $10 you can purchase two mulligans which automatically enters those participants to win a very fancy shotgun from Cabela’s!
Q: What is a “mulligan?”
- A “mulligan” happens when a shooter gets a second chance to fire at an otherwise missed clay. Bring $10 cash to the shoot to purchase two “mulligan” shotgun shells to increase your score. This also enters mulligan-purchasers into a raffle for world-class shotgun, a Beretta A400 Xtreme from Cabela’s!
Q: Do I need to bring my own shotgun?
- You do not need to bring your own shotgun in order to participate in the event. Colorado Clays has shotguns available for use on a first come, first serve basis. Otherwise, you can arrange to borrow a shotgun from on of the other team members.
Q: How many shells do I need to buy.
- This year, we are shooting 50 rounds of trap, and 50 rounds sporting clays. Therefore, you will need to purchase four boxes of shells. They are available for purchase at Colorado Clays, or you can bring your own.